We use cookies to give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to browse, then you agree to our privacy policy and cookie policy. Image for the cookie policy date

AutoComplete triggers false positive WAF rules on Azure Front Door service

Setting up a new app where the API backend will be secured using Azure Front Door Premium w/WAF - There are a couple of rules on the WAF that are being triggered on the AutoComplete control, causing it to break - DropDown control is not triggered - anyone else seen this?

14 Replies

UD UdhayaKumar Duraisamy Syncfusion Team May 3, 2022 01:32 PM UTC

Hi leviatekllc,

We are validating the requirement. We will update the further details in two business days (5th May 2022).

Regards,

Udhaya Kumar D

LE leviatekllc May 3, 2022 03:12 PM UTC

Thanks - additional info on the 2 Front Door WAF rules it triggers that I've had to disable temporarily:

• Rule ID 942200 - Detects MySQL comment-/space-obfuscated injections and backtrick termination
  • Rule ID 942370 - Detects classic SQL injection probings 2/3

VJ Vinitha Jeyakumar Syncfusion Team May 6, 2022 04:25 AM UTC

Hi leviatekllc,

Since we facing some complexity in validating the issue we will update you the further details in three business days on or before 10th May 2022.

Regards,
Vinitha

DR Deepak Ramakrishnan Syncfusion Team May 9, 2022 04:42 PM UTC

Hi leviatekllc,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

we are trying to make sample with Azure front door service to reproduce the issue, will update details in 3 business days (12th,may 2022).

Thanks,

Deepak R

LE leviatekllc May 10, 2022 12:59 PM UTC

Thanks for the constant feedback - If you need any details on the setup of my configuration let me know.

VJ Vinitha Jeyakumar Syncfusion Team May 12, 2022 12:52 PM UTC

Hi leviatekllc,

We have checked from our end to replicate the issue using the information you have provided. but we couldn't find the exact configurations to reproduce the issue at our end. So can you please share us with the below details,

• Exact issue reproducing steps.
  • Setups to be configured to replicate the issue.
  • Image or video illustration of issue replicating scenario.
  • If possible, please share us with the runnable issue reproducing sample.

The above details will be helpful for us to validate the issue and to help you at earliest..

Regards,
Vinitha

LE leviatekllc May 12, 2022 02:38 PM UTC

Hi Vinitha -

So the Project is a Blazor Hosted WASM model, with the Server Project configured as an OData API. The Autocomplete Fields are in the Client Project razor pages based on the examples in your documentation:

Azure Hosting Model:
Solution is deployed to Azure App Service (site.azurewebsites.net) and then secured/balanced behind Azure Front Door Premium using Origin Groups with a custom domain:

When WAF is put in prevention mode, the following two default managed rules are triggered when starting to type in the AutoComplete field - Block on Anomaly is the Default Action configured:

• Rule ID 942200 - Detects MySQL comment-/space-obfuscated injections and backtrick termination
  • Rule ID 942370 - Detects classic SQL injection probings 2/3

Right now, the only fix is to disable these rules/set to log only, but seeing as they are for SQL injection that should not be the case.

When typing in the field, the console debugger in the browser shows 403 Errors:

VJ Vinitha Jeyakumar Syncfusion Team May 13, 2022 02:49 PM UTC

Hi leviatekllc,

Thanks for sharing the requested details.

We are currently working with high priority to validate the issue at our end using Azure hosted Front Door Service. So, we will update you the further details in three business days on or before 19th May 2022.

Meanwhile can you please refer to the below blogs for further reference about Azure WAF and to find out the reasons,

Regards,
Vinitha

LE leviatekllc May 16, 2022 06:32 PM UTC

Thank you for the reference articles - I was able to get more details in the Diagnostic Logging that helps explain why these rules are triggered for the AutoComplete component -- see the details_matches_s section for what it's triggering on:

Raw Details text:

Matched Data: contains(tolower(Name),'') found within QueryParamValue:$filter: contains(tolower(Name),'')

My best guess is that its not liking some or all the function calls - contains or tolower.  I have Grid controls set with filters on the URI w/o these functions that do not trigger these rules.

PO Prince Oliver Syncfusion Team May 18, 2022 11:11 AM UTC

Hi leviatekllc

Thank you for shared details. The methods mentioned in the request’s query strings are required for standard OData request to perform filtering operation on String values. We can remove the “tolower” function from the query string by setting IgnoreCase as false. Refer the below code.

@using Syncfusion.Blazor

@using Syncfusion.Blazor.Data

@using Syncfusion.Blazor.DropDowns

<SfAutoComplete TValue="string" TItem="OrderDetails" IgnoreCase="false"  Placeholder="Select a customerID" Query="@RemoteDataQuery" FilterType="Syncfusion.Blazor.DropDowns.FilterType.StartsWith">

<SfDataManager Url="https://js.syncfusion.com/demos/ejServices/Wcf/Northwind.svc/Orders" Adaptor="Adaptors.ODataAdaptor" CrossDomain=true></SfDataManager>

<AutoCompleteFieldSettings  Value="CustomerID"></AutoCompleteFieldSettings>

</SfAutoComplete>

We cannot remove the StartsWith or Contains in the request, since it is standard and required for OData filtering request. Please check whether the above suggestion resolves the issue.

If you still face the exception, please share the below details

• Filtering request URL format which works in your end
  • Adaptor used in your end

The above details will help us provide a prompt solution.

Regards,

Prince

LE leviatekllc May 24, 2022 07:02 PM UTC

Thanks for the update - I'll test this out in my next release, but if IgnoreCase is set to false and someone enters test, the value Test won't appear, right?

PO Prince Oliver Syncfusion Team May 25, 2022 07:35 AM UTC

Hi leviatekllc

Thanks for the update.

Yes, you are correct. But if filtering is done manually in the API endpoint, then this can be handled by converting the text “Test” to lowercase before performing filter operation. Also please share the requested details below along with your test results.

• Filtering request URL format which works in your end
  • Adaptor used in your end

Regards,

Prince

LE leviatekllc July 13, 2022 07:31 PM UTC

Sorry for delay, this can be closed out - even with the tweaks, the two WAF rules continue to trigger so they have to be tweaked for my app to work properly.  Thank you for your support.

UD UdhayaKumar Duraisamy Syncfusion Team July 18, 2022 01:42 PM UTC

Hi leviatekllc,

Thanks for the update. Please get back to us if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Udhaya Kumar D

Loader.
Up arrow icon